31 January 2009

Emmeline Overend Evans nee Bell 1851-1918

emmeline-overend-evans-smal emmeline-overend-evans-back

  • Subject: Emmeline Overend Evans
  • Date: about 1902
  • Photographer: Unknown
  • Found: UK

Today's photo is an elegant lady named Emmeline Bell, daughter of John Bell & Henrietta nee Woodcock, she was baptised on 23 Jul 1851 at the Manchester Cathedral. She married John Overend Evans in 1874 in the Kensington RD. In 1901 & 1911 they were living in Lancashire with their two daughters Gladys & Beatrice. Emmeline's death is registered in the 2qtr of 1918 in the Prescot RD, aged 68. As far as I can tell John's surname was Evans and his middle name Overend so I'm not sure why Emmeline was know as Emmeline Overend Evans. John was the son of David Owen Evans and Ann nee Overend, baptised 11 May 1844 in Manchester, he was a Barrister at Law.

References:
ancestry.com
FreeBMD
International Genealogical Index

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in this family or Emmeline's photograph please contact me by leaving a comment.

3 comments:

Brett Payne said...

Hi Dawn - I suppose it was inevitable that we should find some further common interests. I have a cabinet card, purchased on eBay a few weeks ago, depicting Emmeline Overend EVANS with her first two children Eric & Noel, taken at the studio of J.J. Hobbiss in Buxton, Derbyshire. The inscription on the reverse is in the same hand as that on your photo.

If I write a story about this family on Photo-Sleuth, may I please include an image of your portrait as well?

Regards and best wishes, Brett

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn Found this by accident really. She is the great great aunt of my wife . I have researched the full family tree Henrietta Woodcocks wedding dress is currently on display in the V&A museum. Very interested to know where you got her photo and information

andyhasted@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi Brett The photo of Emmeline Overend Evans which Dawn has posted - she is actually my wifes great great aunt. I have done the full job on family history research and she is of really marginal interest. I had identified the two children as hers. Where on earth did you get the photos.?

andyhasted@hotmail.com