12 July 2014

The Dugdale Family of Nelson, Lancashire

dugdales-annie-catlowdugdales-annie-catlow-backToday’s photos start off with this unusual gathering, three Dugdale siblings plus Annie Catlow and her friend Cissie Burrows, and one unknown woman. I wonder what the reason was that a group of girl friends plus a brother went along to the professional photographers to have their photo taken? I guess I’ll never know! Annie & Cissie I’ve written about before so now it’s the turn of the Dugdales, mainly Polly who there are two more lovely photos of.

polly-dugdale-both-620w

polly-dugdale-back

 

Polly is usually a nickname for Mary so I wasn’t too hopeful of finding this family straight away but as it turned out her brother Squire’s name was more unusual.

Ellen (Nellie) 1883, Squire 1884 & Mary 1886 were three of the five children of Joseph Dugdale & Martha Ann nee Haworth of Nelson, Lancashire.

Squire later emigrated to Philadelphia in America in 1909, married Anna Nichols in 1914 there and they had four children. He seems to have gone backwards and fowards between each country over the years and on one passenger list he gives his address as c/- Mrs Duerden, I then found a marriage for Ellen Dugdale to Herbert Duerden in 1911 but so far Polly has eluded me after the 1911 census as there are too many Mary Dugdale marriages to be sure which one might be her. Their other two siblings are Hartley Dugdale and Sarah Alice Haworth who was born just a few months before her mother married Joseph Dugdale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone knows anything about or is connected to the DUGDALE family please do contact me, I would love to pass the photos onto a family member, even a distant one. Contact by email is preferable but if you are going to leave a comment please don’t forget to include your email address.

Dawn Scotting
pandora[at]kc.net.nz

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My name is Chris Dugdale and I'm Squire's great-grandson. I have some information and I would like to see what information you have as well. My email is mrdugdale@hotmail.com