02 February 2009

Claude Rowland-Jones born 1887 in Wales

claude-rowland-jones-small claude-rowland-jones-back-s

  • Subject: Claude Rowland-Jones
  • Date: c1891
  • Photographer: Robinson & Thompson, Liverpool & Birkenhead.
  • Found: UK

I could have sworn Claude was a girl when I first saw this photograph!

Claude's birth was registered as Claude Rowland Jones in 1887:-

Births Mar 1887
JONES Claude Rowland Holywell 11b 195

By the time he was married in 1909 he was Claude Rowland-Jones. He was the son of John R Jones and Henrietta Louisa nee Rudd, born 1887 in Caerwys, Flintshire, Wales. In 1891 he was living at home with his parents in Caerwys, his father John was the headmaster of The National School. In 1901 the family were living in a School in Diddlebury, Shropshire where John was a Professor of Music.

Claude's mother, Henrietta Louisa Rudd, was born about 1863 in Monte Video, Argentine Republic, a British Subject. Claude had at least two siblings, Constance Elvina born 1889 in Wales and Kathleen Olga born 1896 in Shropshire.

Claude married Nellie Powell in 1909 (Reg 3qtr Hereford) and in 1911 they were living in Hereford, Herefordshire with their daughter Violet Elvira, in this census their surname is Rowland-Jones. Daughter Violet's birth was apparently registered under both Jones & Rowland-Jones:-

Births Mar 1910
JONES  Violet Elvira    Hereford  6a 449   
ROWLAND-JONES  Violet Elvira     Hereford  6a 449

References:
ancestry.com
FreeBMD
International Genealogical Index

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in this family or Claude's photograph please contact me by leaving a comment.

3 comments:

welshlady said...

I have been doing my family history and my great grandmother was called Mary Jones and her father was John Rowland Jones a school master according to her marriage certificate... Have been doing alot of searching and came across John Rowland Jones b 1844 in Carnguwch Caernonshire, I think his first marriage was to a Jane Roberts in 1871 who already had a son called William H Roberts who according to 1871 census lived at Bryn Tavern Gwyddelwern. Jane dies I think as in 1877 JRJ married a Anna Maria Hutchinson in West Derby Lancashire ( also shows him as a teacher) he had two further children Arthur Hutchinson Rowland Jones b 1878 and Gertrude Adeline Rowland Jones in 1880. (Anna must of died I think in March 1880) JRJ then married Henrietta around april 1886 and had three more children Claude Rowland Jones 1887 born Caerwys Flintshire, Constance Elivna Jones b 1889 in Caerwys and then Kathleen Olga Rowland Jones 1886 in Diddlebury Shropshire. I think JRJ died I think in 1909 in Ludlow but I have not confirmed that yet. Although I have not connected my Mary Jones to the family... it all seems to fit and I have checked alot of cencus records and can only find one JRJ who as a school master. JRJ was a school master in Caerwys in 1888 as I have seen a picuture of hom on the schools page on the internet. I hope this helps your search...

courtneycotton01@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
courtneycotton01@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the details Welshlady. However, I'm not actually searching for this family, I only posted the few details I could find out in the hopes of finding someone who would like to have the photograph. If you do then please contact me at pandora@kci.net.nz